Saturday, March 2, 2013

Ability Design: Shuriken Storm

Shuriken Storm

For my third ability, I previously wanted to implement Shadowstitch which rooted enemies it touched in place.  However, I began to think that I was only designing mobility abilities.  While this is fine, and is a great part of the game, I realized that a ninja also needs a some purely offensive abilities.  Thus, I designed both the single shuriken attack, and a super attack where the ninja throws a whole barrage of shurikens at once. The simple shuriken acted as a fairly straightforward projectile attack, so I'll detail the Shuriken Storm ability.

I wanted to design an ability that the player could use to decimate a large group of enemies, but be costly enough that it wouldn't be prudent to do so otherwise.  Thus, I made it so the ability created around 10 shurikens that spread out in an arc in front of the player.  This creates a wide spread that will destroy most enemies in front of the player (given that they are weak enough to fall to a single shuriken).

The process of actually implementing this wasn't too difficult.  After creating the single shuriken ability, all I had to do was have the ability create multiple instance of this ability with different trajectories.  Simple and efficient!  I amped up the energy cost, so that the player could only use this twice will full energy.  I tested it, and it works fine for the most part.  Some of the trajectories are a little wonky, but I suspect our physics engine is causing that.  It'll need a little more tweaking, but I'm still quite happy with this ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment